Wednesday, July 7, 2010

There is no place like HOME

A trip to the old stomping grounds proves you can go home again

Whoever said "You can always go home" was absolutely right! At least for me they were right. I'm a little late on my post because I was actually out of town on Sunday. I ventured down to Augusta, GA - my hometown - for the July 4th holiday. It was good to be home. I slept in my old bed (well not completely but it is in my old room and in the same spot as my old bed - you get the idea :-)). All was going well until it was clear that I wasn't 10 anymore and Baby G would require a little more space for tossing and turning. I ate some GOOD food - grits, eggs and sausage and toast for breakfast one day, a shrimp omelet on another. BBQ ribs, BBQ Chicken, squash puffs, shrimp and wild rice, cold slaw, collard greens, baked beans and a homemade peach cobbler (read it and weep :-)) to top it all off. Yes, Yes, Yes, it was SO good to be home.

Not only did I eat well, I spent some nice QT with the folks. My folks are tickled pink that I am having a baby. Mom just kept giggling. Dad snapped a picture with his phone as soon as I walked in. Baby Girl is having her own baby. I think they are probably as shocked as I still am LOL. But it is all good. :-)

While there I started to reminisce of my own childhood. The games we played in the yard, the friends I had growing up. Everything seems so much smaller now - but I know that is only because I am bigger! We rode by my grandmother's house (Dad's mom), which had been torn down completely. It is just brush and weeds there now but ohhhh what memories we had from that house. It was sad to see that it was just an empty lot. I will just point to where it used to be for my children, but I can definitely fill them with great stories about our time at Grandma's house. It was really the only way to get me out of bed on Saturday morning - literally. We also went to my other grandmother's house (mom's mom) which we are trying to rent out. Many great memories still came flooding back again. Yep! It was good to be home.


Thanks to Mom and Dad, I have my first two baby items. Never did it become so apparent that I am really having a child than when packing up the playpen and the "cadillac" (3-wheel walking stroller) as my parents call it. This time I wasn't taking this to my house to hold it for my sister (who has the kids in the family) or to give it to one of my friends. No, this playpen and cadillac were going to my house and staying... SAY WHAT?????? LOL Yes, they were staying. Now THAT started to make it real for me! Ezra took it out of the car on Tuesday morning and put it in the office for now. Tux (my pooch) went immediately to it to sniff it out. Yes Tuxy, it's staying and so is this person growing in my tummy. But how he will adjust is for a later post.

Yes, Home is definitely where the heart is - Home in Augusta and Home in Nashville. It was good to go home and it was good to come back. November will be here soon enough, when Mom and Dad will come to stay for a spell to prepare for Baby G's arrival.

Until then, as it all settles in that I will soon be a mother myself, I'll let the time with my parents linger with me, creating exciting thoughts of my child who will create their own fond memories with my parents. I only pray that I will instill in them the values that my parents instilled in me - one of which is the fact that yes, you can always go home!


Marcia

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! This was really good, Marcie. Yep! The baby is having her own baby. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! I am on and connected!

    ReplyDelete